Thursday, January 14, 2010

I just have to comment on this...

As a news junkie, I have been watching and reading all of the information coming out of Haitie, and it is so heart wrenching and unbelievable at the level of pain these people are going through. Seeing a young father carrying the lifeless body of his little 3 year old daughter and to see the expression on his face of the most painful agony. I can't even imagine. I just want to hug my kids and husband and never let them go. I am so grateful there are good, skilled people who are able to go into that country and help. I know there are ways to help from over here - probably mostly financially.

I heard something in a story just after the earthquake from a reporter that said
"Today, a lot of important things suddenly became unimportant."
I can't seem to get that out of my mind. It is true - the amount of time we spend on things that really have little or no value when it is all said and done. We all know it but seem to fall back into that trap until something like this happens.
As hard as it is to watch and to see, it inspires me to see the fight of the human spirit when catastrophes hit. To see people coming together and searching, working, and fighting to find and help their most cherished possessions - their babies, children, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers and friends. That's really what it all comes down to when it is all said and done - the relationships we have with other people. God bless them all and the people who are working to help them.


2 comments:

Kierstin said...

Reed and I were talking about this last night as we sat on our comfortable couch inside of our safe, comfortable home. It's so strange to think that we all keep on caring about the trivial little stupid things in our lives while others are suffering unimaginable pain and loss. It almost seems like the whole world should take a day and mourn with these people. It doesn't seem right that we continue on with our lives as usual when there is so much pain.

Candy McCall said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I delievered Alyssa the day after the big Tsunami hit 5 years ago. I had nothing to watch in the hospital except images of mothers who had just had their children ripped from their arms into the sea.
It sure puts life into perspective.