Sunday, January 3, 2010

72 Hour Kits

I have had this recurring nightmare scenario playing out in my head for the last 5 or so years. It is me frantically running through my home trying to get my family out during an earthquake. In the middle of the chaos I glance at the fridge and notice my "to do list" held up by a magnet. Blaring out at me, as if to say, "I told you so", I see the uncompleted, neglected item:
"Get 72 Hour kits together".
The words are hard to make out because our house is crashing in around us and the earth is moving, but I sickeningly know all too well what it says.
I would think about the irony of that scenario all the time.

It has been on my list for years. It just never got taken care of.
1 year food storage - Done. 72 hour kits only wishful thinking.

Well Not So Any Longer! Goodbye to that nightmare. Hello to peace of mind!
This year we did not get Christmas cards sent out, or any lights up outside. But we did get these kits D.O.N. E. in the middle of December at a busy time. I'm glad we took care of it. It feels good. Now I pray we never have to use them.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Superlady! You are awesome, congrats on getting something major crossed off that ever-looming list. I am officially inspired.

Kierstin said...

That's crazy! I have also had similar nightmares about some major disaster, I have all of my kids and I have to get out and get to Reed who is at work. The freeways are chaos and people are in a panic all over. It makes my heart race just thinking about it. I am SO not prepared to grab-n-go with my kids. I need to get them to the point of just having to change out some seasonal clothes and baby stuff to older kid stuff. scary, scary stuff. I have ours started but not complete. Why do we procrastinate on those important things?? stupidity, I guess. You have inspired me to finish mine this month!

Candy McCall said...

I got mine toegether 4 years ago. NOW-- the food is expired and half the necessary items have been removed from each.
My nightmares have come back.
Thanks for the reminder.
Especially in the winter when I should have all our boots coats and gloved lined nicely in a row at night- not strewn all over the house.