Monday, July 28, 2008

Pioneer Day




I'm curious if anyone else does this, but I always feel like I am trying to replicate the same excitement that I felt on holidays that I felt when I was a little kid, and as an adult it never seems to be the same. I always want to go to the same fairs, parades, you name it, so that it feels like it did when I was 10 or 11. But it's different when you are the parent -instead of just showing up for all of the fun, you are putting on the fun and trying to pull it all together for the kids. As kids, we are oblivious to this, and that's ok, because hey, we're kids! And as adults, it's fun too, but in a different way. I love watching my kids experience new things or to just be so excited for something!
This Pioneer Day was fun and I think that the kids will remember it as I remembered mine growing up. No worries, time with friends, out late, swimming, outdoor movie with neighbors, BBQ - all chalk up to a great day. We had a full day and did some new things- During the day we went up to Fort Buenaventura in Ogden - I've driven by the signs a hundred times and never knew it was there, but it was a great activity for pioneer day. It is next to the Weber River with trails, tee-pees and a small lake for canoeing. They had a festival that day with lots of demonstrations for the kids - how to shear sheep, make a candle, spin wool, make cornhusk dolls, weaving, basket making. Becks even got to ride "Thomas the Train" aka - Golden Spike Train around the grounds. He was ecstatic. We went with some neighbors and the kids were able to get a taste of how the pioneers lived, and best of all it was $2 a person! We also took a half hour canoe ride for $3 for the entire family. You can't beat that deal!!














Later that day we had a BBQ and went swimming with friends and then watched an outdoor movie in their backyard. So much fun! We made popcorn ( in a brown paper bag so you can see all the butter darkening the bag -another treat I remember my aunt doing as a kid on the 24th) and the kids had big blankets and bedding set up for the show. We stayed up way to late and slept in the next day until about 9:00! That doesn't happen very often and the kids were pretty much wiped out, which must mean a successful holiday!

5 comments:

Kierstin said...

That looks like so much fun! My kids would totally love that and I'm definitely putting it in on our 'list of must do's with the kids'

Jill said...

Glad to hear your holiday was more fun than mine! We'll have to try that one next year!

The Stones said...

OK, a) I totally do the whole make a holiday fun for the kid thing, even though the thought and process isn't a blast for me...and b) I LOVE that idea! Is it only on the 24th that they do that?

Tanya said...

Yes, I wonder if the kids even have as much fun as I am trying to have for them. Oh well, they don't realize now, but hopefully they'll have lots of memories.

Suz said...

Gunnar used to complain about those Tuesday neighborhood outtings and how they were too babyish for him. Well guess what he said this summer? Hey mom! Why don't we start up those Tuesday outtings here in Mississippi? They were sooo fun! :)