Sunday, July 12, 2009

4th of July


Something New This Year:  I got up early to run the Kaysville 10k with my friend Emilee.  I loved starting the day that way!    It was a fun way to start the big 4th, and I am going to plan on doing it again next year.

Now for the Traditions:  
Kaysville Parade = better this year than previous.  There were actually floats in it and it ended up being quite a lucrative event.  Kerry came out of there with 2 ties, Becks got a WallE DVD, stuffed animals, a webkin for Ethan, and "Whiskers" the stuffed mouse for Eva.  Oh and all the mardi gras beads you could handle!  We went with Grandma and Grandpa Darrohn, Uncle Steve and Devyn, and Brooke and Jonny.  Brooke's grandma has a house just across from Davis, so we had excellent spots - thanks you guys~
My cooperative 3 year old and the rest of us!
Getting ready for what they came for:  Taffy.  Mom already has dibs on their chocolate and black licorice ones.  That's just the rules.

Beckham and Daddy.

Grandpa Randy - biggest kid out there.   He has been known to throw an elbow or two trying to get his grandkids the most candy.  They have learned (or inherited genetically) all of his mischievous tricks of the trade.

Uncle Tebbers and sweet, cute, stubborn, cousin Devyn.  I am going to start calling him Tebbers again because he was the one that nicknamed me Ralph years ago due to my short *short* haircut. 

Slug Bug What Color!  Pink Pink Pink...MOM - that is the slug bug I want when I am older!!  by Eva.

The still newlyweds Brooke and Jonny....Ahhhhhh....Lovely.  Did I mention that we love them?

Grandma and Grandma Darrohn - they started this whole thing!
La Resistance a la smoochie smoochie!

Please take note:  While Grandpa Randy was having a quick little snooze, the parade was in full swing and an ambulance and fire truck had just driven by with their sirens blaring.  

After the parade it is a picnic at my parents neighborhood park and swimming in the pool.  It is fun to go back to the place you grew up - seeing a lot of families that you've known for so many years and to see your own friends as "moms and dads".   There was a great clown there that made some amazing balloon aliens/hats/monkeys holding bananas, etc.  All Becks and Ethan wanted was a sword.  They got their swords and popped them immediately.

We have gone to the Layton Fireworks for the last 4 or 5 years.  I am all for my alma mater at Davis, but I have to say that Layton's are pretty incredible.  Seriously - best finale ever.  There are also some interesting people watching opportunities  while you are waiting at the park for dusk to come!  Sparklers and kids = fiery fun!
The end of another fun 4th.

4 comments:

Brooke and Jonny said...

What a great day indeed! That picture with Jonny on it, if you click on it to inlarge it you will get quite the scare! 1st Jonny and I are not looking at our finest but the lady in the background is hilarious! Can't wait for next year!

Brooke and Jonny said...

Sorry I meant to say the picture with Jonny and I not just jonny

The Stones said...

Tell Eva I'll fight her for the pink slug bug!

KC said...

As I started reading your post and you were talking about Grandpa Randy and throwing punches...I thought...he's throws punches? Doesn't he usually just sleep at family functions...because that's what I remember growing up...and lo and behold! SLEEPING UNCLE RANDY! Ahhh....memories! Glad to see he hasn't changed from the 'good ol' days!'